An inspector with the health department conducted a routine inspection of Wingstop on Needmore Road Thursday, filing a scathing report about the cleanliness of the restaurant, with 16 violations. Earning a score of 83, the inspector found two hand washing sinks with issues, three pounds of wings that had to be embargoed due to being out of temperature, mold building inside the ice machine, sauces not covered, old food debris covering kitchen equipment in “substantial buildup and also covering the inside of coolers.” The report continued that the walls and floors were dirty with debris, and the condenser in the walk-in freezer was leaking and dripping on food products.
Category: Restaurant Inspections
The Mailroom scores 83; permit revocation warning letter from health department
A state health inspector visited The Mailroom in downtown Clarksville Thursday for a routine inspection. The inspector requested the restaurant to be issued a permit revocation warning letter due to repeat priority violations, specifically for proper food-holding temperatures. On today’s visit, prepped turkey was temping too warm; two pounds were embargoed. During the last routine inspection, mashed potatoes, raw steak, and melon were all out of temperature, with 12 pounds of food embargoed. Other violations today included proper hand washing and a dish machine that was not reaching the proper 160 F temperature. A follow-up inspection will happen within 10 days.
Golden Corral scores 82 on health inspection; raw animal products juice pooled on floor
The Golden Corral restaurant on Wilma Rudolph scored an 82 on a state health inspection Tuesday. According to the report, there was juice from raw animal products pooled on the floor of the walk-in cooler, a below-acceptable level of sanitizer in the dishwashing machine, Chicken held at 107 F, green bean casserole held at 129 F; both should be 165 F. Sauce for Mexican rice was also below temperature. Chicken and sauce were embargoed. A wet table wiping cloth was stored on the food prep area, and raw fish was stored at 45 F.
Casa D’Italia Ristorante scores 59 on Health Inspection — 15 pounds of food embargoed
Clarksville’s newest Italian restaurant, Casa D’Italia Ristorante, received a devastating score of 59 from the health department in its third week of being open to the public. Hands were not washed, dishes were not sanitized, sausage and ground beef items were cooked 3 hours in advance and sitting out at 76 degrees, meatballs were under temperature, pasta was pre-cooked and held at 48 degrees, and dozens of other violations. Fifteen pounds of food was embargoed from being served.
Strawberry Alley Ale Works: Issued Permit Revocation Warning Letter & moldy strawberries
After an October 17th routine inspection, the Department of Health is processing permit revocation warning letters for repeated health code violations that remain unresolved after multiple repeat inspections at Strawberry Alley Ale Works in downtown Clarksville, where they received a score of 73. After the warning letters, the restaurant could be ordered to stop operating if the same violation remains unresolved on the next inspection.
Additionally, 100 pounds of food was embargoed during the most recent inspection. Other violations included moldy strawberries, the dish machine wouldn’t get hot enough to properly clean, and eight-day-old guacamole in the prep line cooler.
Mickey’s Downtown scores 77: cockroaches crawling on kitchen walls & in coolers
A Health Department inspector visited Mickey’s Downtown Friday and noted, among multiple other serious issues, there were cockroaches on the outside and inside of the reach-in cooler and several cockroaches crawling on the kitchen walls. The restaurant was also operating a dish machine without using sanitizer and had no posted permit to operate.
La Plaza on Riverside scored 74 by Health Dept; long history of low scores on surprise inspections
State Health Inspectors say they walked into La Plaza #3 on Riverside Drive Wednesday to find no soap or hot water at the hand-washing sink, raw food stores above ready-to-eat foods that could be dripped on, a dish-washing machine with zero chlorine, raw shrimp and steak that was too warm had to be embargoed, knives stores behind wall trim, and an abundance of gnats.
In August of 2020, their routine inspection scored a 77 with a follow-up of 93; in March of 2020, the restaurant scored a 55, with a follow-up of 92, and last November they managed to score a 65, with a follow-up of 94 — setting a clear trend that rules are only followed for a short period after being caught breaking them.
Rudy’s Diner struggles to earn an 82 on Health Inspection: Ants & Employee Hygiene
An inspector with the Department of Health visited Rudy’s Diner on Madison Street on Monday for nearly an hour, and the local favorite struggled to earn an 82 for their Health Inspection Score. Major violations included an employee pulling up his pants with a gloved hand and never changing gloves while continuing to work with food, while another touched a person’s toast with their bare hands prior to serving it. There were ants crawling on the wall above the sink, and the dishwashing machine never reached 160 degrees for proper sanitation.
The dish machine was taken out of service, and all dishes must be hand washed until repaired. One year ago, during the May of 2021 inspection, the dish machine also was not reaching proper sanitization temperatures.
51: Inspectors found more roaches than handsoap at SOHO Chinese Japanese Fusion restaurant in Clarksville
Health Inspectors gave the SOHO Chinese & Japanese Fusion restaurant a 51 during a Thursday morning inspection in North Clarksville. The routine inspection revealed roaches crawling on the walls, floors, and pipes, no handwashing (and no soap at the sink), raw animal products improperly stored (some at improper temperatures and loose in grocery bags), dishes not being washed or sanitized, and the staff wasn’t checking dates or temperatures of food products. The location has a history of low scores, receiving a 58 in March of 2021, and a 66 in July of 2020.
China King scores 78 on health inspection, some 2nd & 3rd notice items, raw food storage issues
China King on Lowes Drive received a score of 78 on a routine restaurant inspection from the Tennessee Department of Health on March 24th. An inspector found raw shrimp stored on top of cooked potatoes, raw chicken stored over crab salad, raw fish stored over prep sauce, Sushi rice not marked with time expiration, food not being reheated to the proper temperature, including beef pastries, and wet & soiled wiping cloths stored on prep tables/workstations.
This was the 2nd notice for raw food being stored on prepped food and reheating temperatures, and the 3rd notice about the food expiration times and about improper cooler temperatures, with some 15 food items embargoed during this inspection.
A full copy of the inspection is included in the story…