Clarksville’s newest Italian restaurant, Casa D’Italia Ristorante, received a devastating score of 59 from the health department in its third week of being open to the public. Hands were not washed, dishes were not sanitized, sausage and ground beef items were cooked 3 hours in advance and sitting out at 76 degrees, meatballs were under temperature, pasta was pre-cooked and held at 48 degrees, and dozens of other violations. Fifteen pounds of food was embargoed from being served.
After an October 17th routine inspection, the Department of Health is processing permit revocation warning letters for repeated health code violations that remain unresolved after multiple repeat inspections at Strawberry Alley Ale Works in downtown Clarksville, where they received a score of 73. After the warning letters, the restaurant could be ordered to stop operating if the same violation remains unresolved on the next inspection.
Additionally, 100 pounds of food was embargoed during the most recent inspection. Other violations included moldy strawberries, the dish machine wouldn’t get hot enough to properly clean, and eight-day-old guacamole in the prep line cooler.
A Health Department inspector visited Mickey’s Downtown Friday and noted, among multiple other serious issues, there were cockroaches on the outside and inside of the reach-in cooler and several cockroaches crawling on the kitchen walls. The restaurant was also operating a dish machine without using sanitizer and had no posted permit to operate.
State Health Inspectors say they walked into La Plaza #3 on Riverside Drive Wednesday to find no soap or hot water at the hand-washing sink, raw food stores above ready-to-eat foods that could be dripped on, a dish-washing machine with zero chlorine, raw shrimp and steak that was too warm had to be embargoed, knives stores behind wall trim, and an abundance of gnats.
In August of 2020, their routine inspection scored a 77 with a follow-up of 93; in March of 2020, the restaurant scored a 55, with a follow-up of 92, and last November they managed to score a 65, with a follow-up of 94 — setting a clear trend that rules are only followed for a short period after being caught breaking them.
Health Inspectors gave the SOHO Chinese & Japanese Fusion restaurant a 51 during a Thursday morning inspection in North Clarksville. The routine inspection revealed roaches crawling on the walls, floors, and pipes, no handwashing (and no soap at the sink), raw animal products improperly stored (some at improper temperatures and loose in grocery bags), dishes not being washed or sanitized, and the staff wasn’t checking dates or temperatures of food products. The location has a history of low scores, receiving a 58 in March of 2021, and a 66 in July of 2020.
China King on Lowes Drive received a score of 78 on a routine restaurant inspection from the Tennessee Department of Health on March 24th. An inspector found raw shrimp stored on top of cooked potatoes, raw chicken stored over crab salad, raw fish stored over prep sauce, Sushi rice not marked with time expiration, food not being reheated to the proper temperature, including beef pastries, and wet & soiled wiping cloths stored on prep tables/workstations.
This was the 2nd notice for raw food being stored on prepped food and reheating temperatures, and the 3rd notice about the food expiration times and about improper cooler temperatures, with some 15 food items embargoed during this inspection.
A full copy of the inspection is included in the story…
#BREAKING: A Clarksville restaurant that has been operating illegally in Stacey Steetman’s 10th Ward for nearly a year was closed today by order of the State on Friday afternoon. The restaurant, which was operated by Anissa Finney-Gold under the name “Miss Ashley’s Tearoom” was in a nondescript residential home, in the middle of a neighborhood, with 100% residential zoning on the property. The residential kitchen, which functioned as a commercial kitchen selling to-go orders for pick-up/curbside, DoorDash, GrubHub, and other delivery services had never been inspected by the state, as it’s illegal to have a commercial kitchen in those conditions.
Conditions which some delivery drivers reported as being “filled with pets”, primarily cats. According to state, county, and city records, there was no business or tax license on file, and no tax was being paid to the government, despite it being collected by the business. Multiple agencies have now confirmed open investigations into the operations of the business. #developing
One of Clarksville’s most popular pizza places has been given 15 days to pay a $10,500 fine for violating the state’s child labor laws. Chef Ilona, of Caprigios Pizza, says she takes full responsibility and admits some of her 15 & 16-year-old employees worked past 7 p.m. on school nights and more than the allotted hours per day.